Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Week 99 - June 26, 2017



From: Jordan Mark Merrill <merrill.j@myldsmail.net>
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 1:56 AM
To: Lauri Merrill
Subject:

Happy Official Fiesta Week:) ðŸŽ‰ðŸŽ†ðŸ˜Ž
Last week I think I mentioned something about it, but this week is the actual week where there have been big events each day leading up to the 29th.  From our standing as missionaries, we have tried to do as much as we can without being dumb or wasting too much time on our part but I’ll try to cover just a little of what we got to see so far. The other day a bunch of high schools from surrounding cities all came through the center in kind of like a parade and while they walked they had a little dance or thing made, kind of like our Peach Days parade.  It was people dancing their cultural theme and since we live in Sorsogon (which BTW I learned yesterday, Sorsogon City has the most Pili trees in Bicol, not sure if it’s true?) it was all Pili nut centered which is why it’s called "Pili Festival 2017". Then after the groups got to the main park, there was a program set up where they all had a chance to perform in front of the crowd and judges.  We didn’t stay long enough to see who won but I’m pretty sure if I were to vote Sorsogon National High School won. So I sent a few pictures but I have a lot more video that you will see eventually. I got a cool chance to take a picture with a bunch of the high school kids in their costumes, but I think they were more excited to take a pic with me, ha-ha! Then during that program, we got to meet the contestants for this week’s beauty pageant and its cool, because the granddaughter of our recent convert is in it and when we teach her, sometimes she joins, so it’s just cool to know someone more personally, she’s cool. :) Anyway, another day in the morning was a "Color Run" where basically anybody who wanted to go, went and met out the main ocean pier and they basically had a run, but everyone had colored chalk and until now there’s still color on the roads, but we didn’t get to go to that one. The last one I’ll mention, yesterday was the "Ms. Pili" pageant and I don’t have too much to say, but about 14 girls attended and basically did what they do in stuff like that. But the whole city has just kind of been alive these past weeks and its cool to be part of it and I’m actually really grateful I got to spend my last area here and didn’t transfer. 
So about our work, we have been continuing to work with our most progressing investigators and at the same time trying to find more people to teach so we’re just basically doing what we’re supposed to do. If it all goes well, we will have a baptism on the 8th of July so we'll just keeping praying for her. Then we have a couple other people who seem to be ready but their date is unfortunately when I will no longer be here in the Philippines, but it’s all good cause I have trust in the next missionaries here. 
My time is slowly counting down and nothing I can do about it except do what I’m supposed to. I actually had my "closing" interview with President Kotter yesterday and he basically told me this is the time where the adjustment comes and I need to prepare to be dumped back into the real world where your whole day changes. So ya, he isn’t wrong but I think I’m up for the challenge! Well maybe I close it off here. Hope you all have a good day and don’t forget to read and pray. :)

**Elder Merrill**



From: Jordan Mark Merrill <merrill.j@myldsmail.net>
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 2:52 AM
To: Lauri Merrill
Subject:

Oh, I forgot to add. You know my camera that has been super great and WATERPROOF my entire mission? Earlier today I was using it under water and it wigged out.  So I dried it off and opened the battery chamber and water just drained out. The memory card still works, but now I can’t even turn it on.  We'll see in the next few days. There are some little electronic fixing shops but I think this tech might be too much for them. ...pooper

**Elder Merrill**

 
The pic of the starfish was the last I took before my camera got wasted...




No comments:

Post a Comment